Black Magic is an editor for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. Its philosophy is to provide data expansion whenever realistically possible, circumventing the limits of the original game through expansion of the size of the ROM image. It seeks to provide ways to avoid arbitrary, hard to spot ROM corruption by making most data changes visible as text files. It seeks to provide intuitive ways to import and export different types of data between different ROM images.
This is the first major release of Black Magic, and while it is still missing quite a few features, it represents a large step forward from previous builds.
1. Fixed sprite loading and item loading.
2. Changed overworld editing mode buttons to bitmapped checkboxes that stay down to indicate which mode is active.
3. Right click menus for the select objects and handling thereof (hflip, vflip, palette changes).
4. Sprites and Items numbers can now be changed. (Enter two consecutive hex digits to see a change)
5. Graphics exporting has been corrected.
6. Overworld Map navigation by holding Ctrl and clicking near the edge of the map to go to other areas.
7. Everything I've ever coded for Black Magic b/c this is the first readme file I've done for it.
v0.09a stuff that is known to not work
1. Don't bother messing with the overworld exits (the white markers), changes to those won't save in the ROM or the assembler files (hooks.asm and owData.asm).
2. The tile drawing mode only supports tiles that are already found on the map. Be patient, I'll have support for arbitrary tiles in the next release.
v0.10a planned changes:
1. 8x8 tile palette and hflip / vflip / palette controls for draw tile mode.
2. Investigate switching Text and Dungeon editing changes to use assembler rather than raw binary writing.
(shelved for a future release, maybe) 3. Graphics Importing
4. Minimap Navigation for Overworld
5. Custom Object editor
6. Additional stock objects - whatever's feasible, but entrances primarily 7. Event Overlay Management 8. Graphics Management
9. Background color for each area
If it all sounds good, give it a look and download.Download